AdministratorJune 26, 2021 at 9:02 am1023 Replies201950 XPContributions: EnterMedSchool Donor Team Manager VolunteerReputation: Level 7
The diagram shows part of a DNA double helix being copied.
[see diagram below]
Which of the following statements, considered independently, is/are correct?
1 The probability of any base in strand 2 being guanine (G) is 0.17.
2 If p is guanine and r cytosine, a mutation must have taken place.
3 The copying process shown is taking place during mitosis.
A. none of them
B. 1 only
C. 2 only
D. 3 only
E. 1 and 2 only
F. 1 and 3 only
G. 2 and 3 only
H. 1, 2 and 3
MemberJuly 21, 2021 at 6:48 pm331 Replies137970 XPContributions: Team Manager EnterMedSchool Donor VolunteerReputation: Level 6
1. Since the percentage of guanine in strand 1 is 25% then the percentage of C in strand 2 will be 25% as well.
2. This is correct since if p is guanine then it would be paired with Cytosine. But if r is cytosine then it’s pair is guanine and the explanation could be a mutation taking place. This is correct.
3. The DNA replication occurs before mitosis begins. This is false.
The answer is E.
Please confirm you want to block this member.
You will no longer be able to:
- See blocked member's posts
- Mention this member in posts
- Invite this member to groups
- Message this member
- Add this member as a friend
Please note: This action will also remove this member from your friends and send a report to the site admin. Please allow a few minutes for this process to complete.