AdministratorJune 26, 2021 at 6:06 am1023 Replies202950 XPContributions: EnterMedSchool Donor Team Manager VolunteerReputation: Level 7
Consider the non-radioactive elements in Group 1.
Which of the following statements is/are correct about the element with the largest atomic number?
1 It has the most vigorous reaction with cold water.
2 Its atom has the same number of electrons in its highest occupied energy level as other members of the group.
3 It is the most readily oxidised.
A. none of them
B. 1 only
C. 2 only
D. 3 only
E. 1 and 2 only
F. 1 and 3 only
G. 2 and 3 only
H. 1, 2 and 3
MemberJuly 21, 2021 at 5:29 pm331 Replies137970 XPContributions: Team Manager EnterMedSchool Donor VolunteerReputation: Level 6
Group 1 is the group of the alkali metals. The reactivity trend in the group increases from top to bottom. Therefore, the element found at the bottom of the group, which is also the element with the largest atomic number in the group, is the more reactive.
1. All alkali metals react aggressively with water. The fact that it is also the most reactive of the group, makes its reaction with water the most vigorous. This is correct.
2. The largest atomic number equals the largest number of electrons. The more electrons, the higher the energy levels of the shells they will occupy. This is correct.
3. It is the most reactive. Also, it has an oxidation number of +1 since it belongs to the alkali metals. So, it is the most readily oxidised. This is correct.
The answer is H.
Please confirm you want to block this member.
You will no longer be able to:
- See blocked member's posts
- Mention this member in posts
- Invite this member to groups
- Message this member
- Add this member as a friend
Please note: This action will also remove this member from your friends and send a report to the site admin. Please allow a few minutes for this process to complete.