This is our OLD Forums Archive. Please, to download all the files and join our new community, click here

We will keep publishing important updates about the medical entrance exams on EnterMedSchool.com

IMAT EU-SCROLLING [EXPLAINED]  

Serra
(@serra)
Eminent Member Team Member Medical Student

Hey guys, 

I've written a much longer, and clearer version of this post with working pictures here instead, as always if you have any questions feel free to ask 🙂 

The scrolling system for the results of the exam can be quite confusing. I want to establish all of the facts about the scrolling system and debunk some commonly misunderstood ideas.

This article, while still touching on Non-EU issues, will focus on scrolling for EU candidates. You can check out this article for a better grasp on the Non-EU side of things.

IMAT Scrolling - explanation of terms used to give candidates awaiting exam feedback

ASSIGNED to a university, it means that you have been given an offer from your highest possible choice university.

Let’s try to clarify this with an example: If I have La Sap as my 1st choice, and TVas my 2nd choice, but every single seat available for La Sap has been enrolled into by higher ranking candidates, I become ASSIGNED to TV. As long as there is still 1 seat remaining in La sap that hasn’t been filled by an enrolled student, I will not become assigned to TV I will remain BOOKED into TV.

When you are BOOKED into a university, it means that you have received an offer from a university that isn’t your highest possible choice, but given your score the most competitive one possible. There are still unassigned seats remaining in one of your higher choice universities.

YOU WILL NOT LOSE YOUR SEAT IN YOUR BOOKED UNIVERSITY IF YOU CHOOSE TO WAIT FOR A HIGHER CHOICE.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS TO CONTINUE CONFIRMING YOUR INTEREST IN THE NEXT ROUND, OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE SKIPPED DURING THE SCROLLING. This is just a button you need to press when you log-in to your reserved area on Universitaly.

IMAT Scrolling - Confirmation page of scrolling process   IMAT Scrolling - Confirmation page of scrolling process

So why don’t Non-Eus have rounds continuing for months and months having a chance to be booked into every university they choose? The answer is because non-EU candidates are not as likely to give up their seats. 

A more detailed breakdown of Non-EU scrolling can be found here.

A huge part of why so many EUs give up their seats has a massive impact from the number of Italians who sit the exam. 

This is one of the largest contributing factors to the EU scrolling system, giving the false impression that Non-EU candidates do not have this opportunity. Both EU and Non-EU candidates have the opportunity to receive an offer if a higher candidate refuses their seat; however it’s much more likely that an EU candidate will refuse their seat.

Other reasons seats are renounced are sometimes accidental as sad as this sounds

IMAT Scrolling EU student - confirmation page on rank registration system of university application     IMAT Scrolling EU student - confirmation page on rank registration system of university application

If you do not complete this action your status within the ranking changes to “NOT CONFIRM INTEREST”, removing you from the possibility from any subsequent offers. The new and freed up seats offered will literally skip you and instead be given to candidates ranking below you.

IMAT Scrolling EU student - student rankings with detailsIMAT Scrolling EU student - student rankings with details

Topic starter Posted : 16/07/2020 11:17 pm
NCon
 NCon
(@ncon)
New Member Donator

Thank you very much for the clarity on this subject Serra. 

I have chosen Pavia as my 1st choice. However, after completing registration I did some more research and now think that Bologna would be a better fit for me. Because the test centres are filling up it is too late to change my first choice.

I just wanted to ask if you know if there is any chance that I will be able to get Bologna, even though Pavia is my 1st choice. 

I feel like Bologna will be higher points this year because they have reduced EU seats so my guess is probably not, but just wanted to ask

Thanks!

Neil

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2020 2:31 pm
Askar
(@yerzhanuly)
Active Member IMAT
Posted by: @serra

(2016 scrolling lasted until March 2017)

Good day, @serra

Thank you for explanation, it is very informative 

But here is a one question which I can’t understand ☹ When the first semester starts for first-year students?

I mean, if that student was accepted in 2017, but he/she took the IMAT and applied in 2016, does it mean that he/she started studying in September 2017 (1 year after the application)? Does everyone start studying  1 year after the application?

I will appreciate it if you clarify that)

Best wishes,

@yerzhanuly

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2020 5:02 pm
Serra
(@serra)
Eminent Member Team Member Medical Student

Her @askar I"m glad you found the post infromative. As far as I know he enrolled as if he was accepted in 2016 despite it being late. It is then up to the student to catch up as this is how it works for EU. However I'm not entirely sure tbh with you. 

Hope it helps 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/11/2020 8:31 am
Share: