Notifications
Clear all
This site uses cookies to enhance the user experience. By using this site, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agreed to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Please log in to see files and pictures

[Honest Review] Harvey Course, Pavia - Medicine In English In Italy  

RSS
Ari Horesh
(@ari)
Noble Member Community Founder Medical Student

Hello to my amazing community, many of you are asking me many questions about the university where I study, so I decided to summarize in one article all the most frequently asked questions to help you decide - is the university of Pavia the right university for you.

Let's start with some background. My name is Ari Horesh; I'm a student at the University of Pavia. I have been living, studying, and experiencing experiences for over a year in this charming little town. Before moving to Pavia, I lived in Tel Aviv, a noisy, bustling city - the exact opposite of Pavia. I want to emphasize at the outset - Pavia is not a city; it is a village where 70,000 inhabitants live, a modest amount compared to other cities where medicine can be studied.

* I must point out - I have nothing to sell you, what I write here is my personal opinion - and to encourage transparency, unlike other places, I am going to write both the pros and cons of the city and my university.

The most asked question, and from which I will begin the article, is, "Is it worthwhile to study medicine at the University of Pavia?"  - There is no doubt this is a broad question consisting of many sub-topics, but I will try to answer it as best I can

My personal and maybe a little naive opinion:

I think the thing that is important to remember - we are living in 2020. Today, you can find almost every piece of information that humanity has created at the click of a mouse. The only thing that stands between you and being the best doctors in your department is yourself, your attitude, the amount of time, and the desire to know.

So yes, the University of Pavia has a world name, and in general, many universities in Italy have a world name, but will the choice of your university affect your abilities as a doctor in such a significant way? I doubt it.

Accessibility and management of daily life:

I live in the center of Pavia, and I study most of the time at home, but many friends travel to libraries to study. A significant advantage of the city is that there are many scattered and accessible libraries throughout the city, just a short walk away. In general, if you live in the center, everything is within a 10-minute walk.

If you want to see some pictures from Pavia, feel free to poke around a bit on my Instagram account:

How much does it cost to study at the University of Pavia?? Are there any scholarships? And in general - how much does it cost to live in a foreign country and study medicine?

I will openly tell you how much I pay, but it is essential to emphasize that in the first months, you will have quite a lot of expenses. From insurance to a new mattress for the apartment, you will need to buy. I spent € 2500 the first month I arrived at Pavia.
In general, I live with two amazing roommates, each of us pays about 300 euros. Besides, we spend 30 euros each for some general building expenses and about 15 euros each for electricity and gas. Completely affordable prices, in my opinion. Also, the school year costs 4,500 euros. Still, personally, I do not pay tuition because I have submitted documents for a tuition discount, a process that everyone can demand thanks to Italian law. It turns out that in total, including my expenses on entertainment (which we will talk about in the next section), I spend about 700 euros a month. Multiply 700 in 10 months when you are in Italy, adding a first-year expense, and on average, you pay between 7000 and 13000 euros per school year, all included.

Social life and entertainment:

Well, Pavia is not dull, but compared to other places, I must admit, it is a bit boring. Although there is a center to go out and enjoy with friends, great restaurants to eat in the area, and Milan which is near Pavia half an hour by train, the city is more suitable for those looking for peace of mind, wanting to get up at 6 in the morning, open the balcony doors and see the countryside and listen to the silence. (But I must admit, as someone who grew up in a noisy city, I enjoy it over and over again)
The price of a pizza tray will cost you about 5 euros, a coffee from the vending machine about 40 cents, and a fantastic ice cream (which I am not attached to in any way, but I just have to praise them) for only 2 euros (this is the best ice cream in Italy.)

Weather:

In northern Italy, as is known in the north of Europe, it is cold. Not too cold, but yes, I must admit, as a person who came from the Middle East, I did not prepare well enough for the cold of Italy.
The coldest day that has been in Pavia this past winter had minus 3 degrees at night. And it snowed once (which I also documented in the story on my Instagram account)

In summer for example (now) it's pretty hot here, and there's no air conditioning here in most homes, so get ready for it (or come home in the summer)

Teacher quality and learning:

I am satisfied with most of the teachers. I'm sure every university always has more and less good teachers - what matters, in the end, is whether the study material goes through as required. There is an impressive collaboration between the students from different years, sharing of study materials, a joint Google drive, practice questions, memory cards, and whatnot. I have no complaints, as a person who loves and prefers to study on his own; all the study materials are always there.

Most of the tests, unlike various universities, are written and not oral. This fact is a massive advantage for me since I do not know the system of the oral examination; in Israel, all the tests are written.

*Note: after the third year, most of the exams are oral.

I want to summarize this post by presenting the pros and cons of the university and the city

Advantages:

- small city
- Reasonable prices
- High level of education
- Collaboration between classes
- Most teachers are available for all students' questions and very open. They listen to problems that arise and always want to help us solve any issues that arise
Places of entertainment are not expensive
Scholarships are available, and there is a tuition discount
- Low rent
Written and not oral tests

Disadvantages:

- The small city (you choose whether it is an advantage or a disadvantage)
- Sometimes too quiet
- Can be quite cold in winter compared to the south
- Tuition is higher among all universities if you do not go through the process of receiving a discount.

- after the third year, most of the exams are oral.

-Disorganization: Universities in Italy are infected with a disease called "chaos" - there is disorganization and lack of synchronization between different factors, and sometimes students are harmed by it.

I wish you a lot of success in the IMAT test, and for everything you need, I am here for you.

Ari.

Ari Horesh - The founder of EnterMedSchool.com, a nonprofit website with the mission of providing free, world-class education for current and future medical students all around the globe.

Posted : 12/07/2020 11:29 pm
Elh, kaniourasd, Oumshka and 2 people liked
Oumshka
(@oumshka)
New Member IMAT

This Article was absolutely wonderful, it summarizes mostly everything (except a gripe i have which i will mention in just a moment). Summarizing it eloquently with a bullet point list.

I must ask, however. When it comes to the professors, do you ever feel that they can articulate their points towards you in an easy to digest manner? I'm currently in the Medical University of Gazi in English and while the professors without a doubt know what they're talking about, they often lack the language capacity to deliver it. so almost always I'm left confused and disarrayed about the topic itself.

The best way i can describe it, is that, compared to the locals who are already used to the subtle systems of education (such as just being a sponge and taking in information) , the professor puts a sentence with grammar that is obscure to me, so I have to rearrange it to make sense in my head, reconnect previous topics to understand the point, then finally move on, only to see that the professor has moved on to the next slide or two... so i always feel pressed.

Do the professors ever do that to you? (ofcourse there are good and bad apples but I'd like to know a sort of.. ratio is possible haha). and as always, everyone has an accent, does it interfere with your understanding?

I thank you ever so much Mr.Ari , I wish you all the success and if i ever make a decent following i'll always recommend your wonderful website.

Kind regards,

Omar

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 12:12 pm
Midhun manohar
(@midhun)
New Member IMAT
Posted by: @ari

Hello to my amazing community, many of you are asking me many questions about the university where I study, so I decided to summarize in one article all the most frequently asked questions to help you decide - is the university of Pavia the right university for you.

Let's start with some background. My name is Ari Horesh; I'm a student at the University of Pavia. I have been living, studying, and experiencing experiences for over a year in this charming little town. Before moving to Pavia, I lived in Tel Aviv, a noisy, bustling city - the exact opposite of Pavia. I want to emphasize at the outset - Pavia is not a city; it is a village where 70,000 inhabitants live, a modest amount compared to other cities where medicine can be studied.

* I must point out - I have nothing to sell you, what I write here is my personal opinion - and to encourage transparency, unlike other places, I am going to write both the pros and cons of the city and my university.

The most asked question, and from which I will begin the article, is, "Is it worthwhile to study medicine at the University of Pavia?"  - There is no doubt this is a broad question consisting of many sub-topics, but I will try to answer it as best I can

I think the thing that is important to remember - we are living in 2020. Today, you can find almost every piece of information that humanity has created at the click of a mouse. The only thing that stands between you and being the best doctors in your department is yourself, your attitude, the amount of time, and the desire to know.

So yes, the University of Pavia has a world name, and in general, many universities in Italy have a world name, but will the choice of your university affect your abilities as a doctor in such a significant way? I doubt it.

I live in the center of Pavia, and I study most of the time at home, but many friends travel to libraries to study. A significant advantage of the city is that there are many scattered and accessible libraries throughout the city, just a short walk away. In general, if you live in the center, everything is within a 10-minute walk.

If you want to see some pictures from Pavia, feel free to poke around a bit on my Instagram account:

removed link

How much does it cost to study at the University of Pavia?? Are there any scholarships? And in general - how much does it cost to live in a foreign country and study medicine?

I will openly tell you how much I pay, but it is essential to emphasize that in the first months, you will have quite a lot of expenses. From insurance to a new mattress for the apartment, you will need to buy. I spent € 2500 the first month I arrived at Pavia.
In general, I live with two amazing roommates, each of us pays about 300 euros. Besides, we spend 30 euros each for some general building expenses and about 15 euros each for electricity and gas. Completely affordable prices, in my opinion. Also, the school year costs 4,500 euros. Still, personally, I do not pay tuition because I have submitted documents for a tuition discount, a process that everyone can demand thanks to Italian law. It turns out that in total, including my expenses on entertainment (which we will talk about in the next section), I spend about 700 euros a month. Multiply 700 in 10 months when you are in Italy, adding a first-year expense, and on average, you pay between 7000 and 13000 euros per school year, all included.

Well, Pavia is not dull, but compared to other places, I must admit, it is a bit boring. Although there is a center to go out and enjoy with friends, great restaurants to eat in the area, and Milan which is near Pavia half an hour by train, the city is more suitable for those looking for peace of mind, wanting to get up at 6 in the morning, open the balcony doors and see the countryside and listen to the silence. (But I must admit, as someone who grew up in a noisy city, I enjoy it over and over again)
The price of a pizza tray will cost you about 5 euros, a coffee from the vending machine about 40 cents, and a fantastic ice cream (which I am not attached to in any way, but I just have to praise them) for only 2 euros (this is the best ice cream in Italy.)

Weather:

In northern Italy, as is known in the north of Europe, it is cold. Not too cold, but yes, I must admit, as a person who came from the Middle East, I did not prepare well enough for the cold of Italy.
The coldest day that has been in Pavia this past winter had minus 3 degrees at night. And it snowed once (which I also documented in the story on my Instagram account)

In summer for example (now) it's pretty hot here, and there's no air conditioning here in most homes, so get ready for it (or come home in the summer)

I am satisfied with most of the teachers. I'm sure every university always has more and less good teachers - what matters, in the end, is whether the study material goes through as required. There is an impressive collaboration between the students from different years, sharing of study materials, a joint Google drive, practice questions, memory cards, and whatnot. I have no complaints, as a person who loves and prefers to study on his own; all the study materials are always there.

Most of the tests, unlike various universities, are written and not oral. This fact is a massive advantage for me since I do not know the system of the oral examination; in Israel, all the tests are written.

I want to summarize this post by presenting the pros and cons of the university and the city

Advantages:

- small city
- Reasonable prices
- Most teachers are available for all students' questions and very open. They listen to problems that arise and always want to help us solve any issues that arise
- Low rent

Disadvantages:

- Sometimes too quiet
- Tuition is higher among all universities if you do not go through the process of receiving a discount.

-Disorganization: Universities in Italy are infected with a disease called "chaos" - there is disorganization and lack of synchronization between different factors, and sometimes students are harmed by it.

I wish you a lot of success in the IMAT test, and for everything you need, I am here for you.

Ari.

could you please add details of the university of padova 

Midhun

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2020 2:42 pm
Ari Horesh
(@ari)
Noble Member Community Founder Medical Student
Posted by: @midhun
Posted by: @ari

removed link

Weather:

Advantages:

- small city
- Reasonable prices
- Low rent

Disadvantages:

- Sometimes too quiet

Ari.

could you please add details of the university of padova 

Sure, I will try my best to find a student from Padova to write an article for the website!

Ari. 

Ari Horesh - The founder of EnterMedSchool.com, a nonprofit website with the mission of providing free, world-class education for current and future medical students all around the globe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2020 9:27 pm
Share: