This is our OLD Forums Archive. Please, to download all the files and join our new community, click here
We will keep publishing important updates about the medical entrance exams on EnterMedSchool.com
IMAT Exam Section Responses
I'm a psychology graduate and thus, have no previous background in Science and Math (except for Math & Bio until IGCSE). So I'm really confused in terms of how to prioritise the subjects and their study.
I had some questions:
1. Can I skip an entire section? for example - maybe not complete the physics questions
2. The Pearson is hard to find right now, so would you recommend the Cambridge IB textbooks, Cambridge A Levels or Cambridge IGCSE texts for me to begin studying?
3. Can I just learn parts from textbooks based on the IMAT portion, or would you recommend having learnt the entire textbook?
Looking forward to hearing form you!
Hey @anushkagokani ,
You can skip as many questions as you want, but remember, the IMAT is very competitive. Each correct answer is 1.5 points, wrong answer is -0.4, and unmarked is 0.
I would use IGCSE for chemistry and biology, but notice that they are probably not as detailed as A level books, especially for physiology and metabolism.
Learning the entire book is low yield, and won׳t give you any benefit for the exam.
Are you using our study planner?
I am planning on adding some books to the study planner, send the exact book names (and their edition), and I will do my best to add and edit the study planner as soon as possible (after my first semester)
For now, you should focus on the syllabus.
These are the archives of our old forums. If you want to reach one of the team members or me, meet future and current students from all over the world, and access are newest study materials: make sure to check our new international community - Community.EnterMedSchool.com
Thanks for your promt response! Yes, I am following your study planner, it is honestly great!
So I've been working through the syllabus itself and switching amongst textbooks.
Here are the ones I'm using:
1. Cambridge IGCSE Biology Third Edition - D G Mackean, Dave Hayward
2. Complete Chemistry for cambridge IGCSE Second Edition - RoseMarie Gallagher, Paul Ingram
3. Cambridge IGCSE Physics Third Edition - Tom Duncan, Heather Kennett
4. Complete International Mathematics for Cambridge IGCSE Extended - David Rayner, Jim Fensom
1. Cambridge Biology for the IB Diploma - Brenda Walpole, Ashby Merson-Davies, Leighton Dann
A & As Levels
1.Cambridge International AS and A Level Biology Coursebook Fourth Edition - Mary Jones, Richard Fosbery, Jennifer Gregory and Dennis Taylor
2.Cambridge International AS and A Level Chemistry Coursebook Second Edition - Lawrie Ryan and Roger Norris
3. Cambridge International AS and A Level Physics Coursebook Second Edition - David Sang, Graham Jones, Gurinder Chadha and Richard Woodside
These are the book pdfs I have as of now^. I am also attaching their cover photos.
Thank you so much for all your help!